Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Puddle Jump No-More





7/10/09
Needing to get back up to the northern part of Central America we decided to fly instead of bus it. Our bus route would have taken us through the now unstable Honduras and it would also take us way too long. We booked our flight to Belize-leaving from Bocas Del Toro Panama. The only flight they had stopped first in San Jose, Costa Rica , then in San Salvador, (overnight) and then onto Belize city. Annoying flight but it was our only option.
While waiting in the terminal a storm blew in that would have frightened passengers waiting to board a 747. When our plane taxied up to our terminal a let it’s full load of 6 passengers off I knew we were in for a really rough ride.
We boarded in disbelief and silence. The half hour flight was one of the longest most uncertain times in my life. Brooke and I were holding hands and closing our eyes through the roughest plane ride ever. The engines were cutting out and the plane was bouncing up and down like a small boat getting tossed around by rough seas. I could see directly into the cockpit where the pilot struggled to keep his clipboard on the seat next to him. He even looked nervous. There would be clear skies as I looked out my window--then I would see a massive dark grey cloud and brace myself. Our heads were smacking the ceiling and I really did think we were going to crash. After dropping fifty or a hundred feet and hearing the engines sputter I just couldn’t make myself believe that the plane could take much more.
When we landed I was speechless. Maybe this was normal, maybe not, but it was new to me.

No comments: